My Ruby on Rails class through Portland Code School starts tonight, and I can’t wait! In preparation, I’ve been working on getting all those fiddly annoying things about my (I feel weird calling it this, but…) environment set up in a way that makes sense. I outlined some of my goals in an earlier post, so I wanted to revisit it to see how I did!

I did end up getting “subl” set up, which I’ve already started using pretty regularly, and its great. Vim is cool and all (no, that’s a lie), and I’m glad I can navigate my way around it if I have to, but modern text editors exist for a reason. I am happy to help myself out with tools anytime I can.

I ended up abandoning Colloquy, and went ahead and actually paid money for Textual. To anyone who knows me personally, I’m sure this is shocking. I never use paid software. Like, not ever. And yet, I paid a whole $5 for Textual, and it was totally worth it. It’s so much sleeker and more intuitive than Colloquy, the documentation doesn’t suck, and I can easily customize which (if any) noises I want it to make. I can’t tell you how many people I scared to pieces with Colloquy notifications.

Relatedly, I have progressed in my quest to have an IRC bouncer set up. I now have ZNC installed and configured (sort of) on my server, and now I just have to actually figure out how to add channels to it. Installing was a challenge, since nginx is apparently designed to be the least beginner-friendly and intuitive server on the planet, as is my AWS instance. I ended up having to create a swapfile in order to install all the things I needed, since apparently I was maxing out the capacity of my instance.  I may also have made a mistake in configuring ZNC, since I appear to have somehow disabled SSL (although I swear I followed ZNC’s instructions on enabling it exactly, so WTH). So, not a total success quite yet, but definitely significant progress made.

I did manage to add the zenburn color scheme to iTerm, which turns out to be ridiculously easy, and I am irritated that apparently no one on the internet knows that it’s easy. Or else, they just don’t bother to explain it because it’s so easy. Look for a post on that soon, since I can explain it easily and hopefully save someone else hours of time sorting through dot files to no purpose.

As you can probably tell, I didn’t make any progress on making this blog look less atrocious. I also didn’t have any luck figuring out how to edit a WordPress blog locally that is not run off of some sort of Apache server. I’m doing some more research on Vagrant after reading a bit about it and how it works with nginx, but have nothing to show so far.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with my progress. All the essential things are finished, and the rest is really just gravy. I’m sure I’ll eventually get around to it. Onward to code school!